Welcome to the 2019 WVBDB Contest! We think you will find this FREE in-class STEM activity to be of great benefit to your students.
The West Virginia Bridge Design and Build Contest aims to:
- Provide students with an opportunity to learn about the engineering design process
- Provide realistic, hands-on experience that will help students to understand how engineers design structure
- Demonstrate how engineers use the computer as a tool to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the design process
- Provide a tool for visualizing structural behavior—a tool that will help understand how structures such as truss bridges work
- Provide an opportunity for students to apply their bridge design skills by constructing a bridge from balsa wood material
- Have fun pitting problem-solving skills against those of other virtual bridge designers around the state
Teacher supporters are a very important part of the contest facilitation. Below you will find information, tools and resources at your disposal in order to conduct this FREE STEM related activity and have a professional engineer in your classroom this year!
For more information and questions, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org at anytime.