The West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest promotes STEM education and career exploration by providing middle school and high school students with a realistic, hands-on introduction to civil engineering. The contest is open to all 6-12 grade students enrolled in a West Virginia public, private, or home school.
The West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest aims to:
- provide students with an opportunity to learn about the engineering design process
- provide realistic, hands-on experience that will help students to understand how engineers design structure
- demonstrate how engineers use the computer as a tool to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the design process
- provide a tool for visualizing structural behavior—a tool that will help understand how structures such as truss bridges work
- provide an opportunity for students to apply their bridge design skills by constructing a bridge from balsa wood material
- have fun pitting problem-solving skills against those of other virtual bridge designers around the state
The Qualifying Round of the 2019 West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest runs from September 24, 2018 until March 31, 2019. The Finals will take place on Saturday, May 4, 2019 at Marshall University in Huntington, WV.
For media inquiries or more information, please contact advisory board member Tricia Ball at email@example.com or (304) 696-5745.
Sponsors of the WV Bridge Design and Build Contest