The West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest promotes STEM education and career exploration by providing middle school and high school students with a realistic, hands-on introduction to civil engineering. The contest is open to all 6-12 grade students enrolled in a West Virginia public, private, or home school.
The West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest aims to:
- provide students with an opportunity to learn about the engineering design process
- provide realistic, hands-on experience that will help students to understand how engineers design structure
- demonstrate how engineers use the computer as a tool to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the design process
- provide a tool for visualizing structural behavior—a tool that will help understand how structures such as truss bridges work
- provide an opportunity for students to apply their bridge design skills by constructing a bridge from balsa wood material
- have fun pitting problem-solving skills against those of other virtual bridge designers around the state
Dates for the 2020 West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest will be in announced in the late summer/early fall of 2019!
For media inquiries or more information, please contact advisory board member Tricia Ball at email@example.com or (304) 696-5745.