The West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest promotes STEM education and career exploration by providing middle school and high school students with a realistic, hands-on introduction to civil engineering. The contest is open to all 6-12 grade students enrolled in a West Virginia public, private, or home school.
The West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest aims to:
- provide students with an opportunity to learn about the engineering design process
- provide realistic, hands-on experience that will help students to understand how engineers design structure
- demonstrate how engineers use the computer as a tool to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the design process
- provide a tool for visualizing structural behavior—a tool that will help understand how structures such as truss bridges work
- provide an opportunity for students to apply their bridge design skills by constructing a bridge from balsa wood material
- have fun pitting problem-solving skills against those of other virtual bridge designers around the state
The Qualifying Round of the 2019 West Virginia Bridge Design & Build Contest runs from September 24, 2018 until March 31, 2019.
For media inquiries or more information, please contact advisory board member Tricia Ball at firstname.lastname@example.org or (304) 696 – 5745.
Sponsors of the WV Bridge Design and Build Contest